Wednesday, July 16, 2008

BNL

As most who visit often will know, I am a lover of the bare naked ladies. Mr. Steven Page - the reason I fell for the ladies - was charged with possession of cocaine today. More than anything else it makes me sad. I love the music the band makes and I'm sad that someone I would so highly regard for his musical ability and the things he has stood up - using his celebrity - is tarnished by possession of cocaine.

I remember Connie (high school buddy) telling me I needed to listen to "this". We listened to Enid and so began a nickname for Connie that I still think of when I think of her. It just so happened that shortly after my initiation to the naked ladies that they toured to Prince George and my amazing band teacher (during a teacher strike) took a bus load of us to my first concert. They were amazing - better than amazing - we memorized songs - we sang along with "million dollars" - it was our anthem. I've followed them ever since and hear them in many places - not just a band that makes albums - they have theme songs to tv shows, cbc introduction music, - they are around me throughout the day - I think of the band every time I listen to "sounds like canada".... they are truly canadian and so tonight after pondering this all day I simply wanted to write that it makes me sad.

I love the naked ladies - they are fabulous and will always be fabulous. He has plead not guilty to the charge and goes to court at the end of August. I hope this is all a case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time, but understand that people do unwise things. It shocked me to read that if convicted there is a maximum sentence of 15 years and minimum charge of 5... that really makes me sad. It also make me wonder what the hell kind of judicial system there is Canada and the US. People die as a result of drinking and driving and the driver gets to walk away in some cases or gets such pathetic charges that it is a joke and they do it again - only to get another charge that is lame and unfair. What are our priorities as human kind? Don't get me wrong - if he is doing drugs and was caught he should be penalized - it is against the law - but the scale of the law is ridiculous.

When I was born
They looked me and said
What a good boy
What a smart boy
What a strong boy

No comments: