Monday, April 07, 2008

299.5

Ok before the blog candy festival I needed to make a post - so the blog candy will follow this post.

Today I get that phone call. "You need to come and pick up Kyle." Why? "He's put a rock in his ear."
GREAT! I drive there and he is fine - just sitting there. No problem. I take him right to emergency and he is all laughs and 'oh isn't this fun'. I'm freaking out, but remaining calm. They take us in immediately and find that it isn't that deep. They weren't really kid friendly and the doc didn't really know what to do - I think he really thought that Kyle was just going to sit still. He was in for a dramatic shock and kick in the nards.

First they try suction and this is when he reacted very poorly and made the first round of screaming and flailing... it was on at this point - Kyle went into basket case mode. So the suction idea was a poor one - if anything it just wedged this damned rock even further into his poor little ear. Then, because it wasn't that deep, he decides to to use syringe full of water and fill his ear up so the rock "hopefully" floats out. Kyle freaked out further and flailed with both his arms and legs - I was on arm duty and a nurse was on head duty. The doctor got about 10 kicks from Kyle's shoed feet and Kyle wouldn't give up. So then we tried the water again and this time I've got him pinned. Legs between my legs, arms pinned, nurse holding his head - and then the rock moves. We move Kyle a little and he spazzes out and he tells Kyle to sit up and he's going to pull it out with micro tweezers. He (wrongly) shows Kyle what he's going to do and Kyle goes ballistic. He is cursing everything - not really cursing - but he is screaming louder than I've ever heard anyone scream and crying and - it was terrible. So the doctor finally just reaches in and pulls out this 1.5 cm by .5 cm triangle shaped rock out of his ear. We tell Kyle it's over and Kyle is trying to get out the door. "I don't want to ever come to the hospital again. Let's go, let's go, let's go." The doctor hands me the rock, which I end up losing and he says it should be fine - no damage. And then Kyle sways towards me and screams again - my ear is bleeding, my ear is bleeding - and sure enough his ear is bleeding all over and it's on his hands and the screaming is on again. They give us a swab to clean up and the doctor says it should still be fine and Kyle had no hearing issues. They looked and it was all clear. The doctor leaves and I thought he was coming back, but after 10 minutes makes no appearance and I hear him dealing with others. He didn't think we needed drops or that there would be anything else wrong so we just headed out - I'm sure they were happy to see us leave.

We got into the waiting area and we sat down and talked about why the hospital was good and why it was good that they took the rock out. We went and saw Grandma (she was working today) and he cried a bit again and then we went to the car. He was still crying and shaking and upset. We went to get a drink and I took him to my office. He was still in shock. I said we'd go home and I'd pick up Michael first, but by the time I got to daycare he wanted to stay. We talked a lot about not putting stuff in ears but he didn't really say why it happened. I just couldn't believe that he thought hey, there's a rock - let's see if that will fit in my ear.

Tonight as we were reading our bedtime story I asked again -telling him it was ok to tell me why he thought that was a good idea and he says - 'mom the other kids were being loud and it was nap time - i just wanted to not hear them anymore' ... so I'm buying earmuffs tomorrow.

And there you go - another story about why parenting is much more difficult and gut retching then the books will ever tell you. Another day that I will remember for all my days.

I hope everyone else had a far better day then me.

No comments: