Friday, July 07, 2006

home again

My parents ended up staying with us for two nights and then the third day they got antsy and decided to risk driving back out to get more stuff. Large sections of the road have been burned - 10 - 20 km at least. The fire seemed to make a snake like path through the Nazko valley. They meet up with the forest crews at the school and were told that houses near the river should be ok because the crews had sprinkler systems that would sit on homes in the event that the fire got close enough. The fire has come within 30 miles of my parents house, which might sound far away but if the fire were to pick up speed it could hit them in a very short period of time.

There are a few fires near each other and the concern is that they will merge. So the valley is still on 2 hour notice but my parents have decided to stay out there. They got 2 hours of rain yesterday and I guess that that and the sprinkler system made them believe that it was ok to stay. So we will play it by ear from here on in. There isn't ash falling out there anymore (they had more than a day of ash falling just a few days ago) so I think until that happens again they will stay.

Michael had his 6 month check up - he is now 18 1/2 lbs and 27 inches tall. My doctors office has made the big leap to technology so each office is now equipped with a laptop and he just sits there and punches everything in. So I ask something and he goes... click click click - that means this... he punched in all Michael's stats and it showed the growth chart changing... he is in the 50 percentile for weight and 75 percent for height. Kyle was easily at the 100 percentile for weight and about the same for height. Other than the growth stuff he is ahead of schedule on the doing stuff list (those without children.. the doctor has a list of 20ish things your baby should be doing for 3, 6, 9, 12, 18, and 24 months - they read off the thing, you say yes or no.. say no a lot they give you help... say yes a lot.. you wonder why you come in). He really has the hang of backwards crawling. He can get all over the place now. It won't be long before he has forward. Food stuff - well he appears to be allergic to wheat and potato - so I'm holding off on introducing them again for a while. My mom has suggested we see a naturopath - any thoughts from the blogger gallery on this?

I'm bagged - I've been up since 5. Have a great weekend. And as my grandma says, be good and if you can't be good, be safe.

3 comments:

The Jaded Bee said...

Well, I was informed by my doctor that they won't do food allergy tests until at least three years of age, and that the tests we had done were proof enough and better than any they could do. (ie. Feeding it causes a reaction, not feeding it to him doesn't.) I think I'm going to ask for the full run of tests when he is three, and maybe for myself as well. If that doesn't go, then we'll head to the naturopath. I think we get the equivalent of one or two visits per year on Tyler's medical.

Things I'd take with me...the kids' pictures, the cds with the pictures on them, the animals. I don't think the puter would come, but since you guys mentioned it, maybe the actual 'puter part. I really think I'd just put together what Tyler and I needed, what the kids needed with a few things to keep them occupied and the cloth diapers with a pail or two to store them in.

What would I bemoan leaving behind? Other pictures. My dictionary (it's a big one). My flute. Wood things my grandfather made. My grandfather's parents' table. And, I'd hopefully remember to close all the doors in the house as we were told in fire drills growing up to slow the fire down. Would I remember that our crawl space is mostly cement to store things? Probably not.

Jade calls.

Take care,
Jen.

the author said...

Sarah - I had it in my head that you had a dairy farm... what is on your farm? I can't believe Michael outweighs Wyatt. He is a big boy. My dad thinks he is going to be bigger than Kyle.

Thanks for the naturopath info. I've been curious about it for a long time. I guess it is time to actually make an appointment. I have to go to Prince George for it but that's ok - always fun to visit Costco and the other wonders of the "northern capital"; as they are toting themselves now. What should I expect when I go and see one? Blood tests?....??? I'd like to go for myself and with Michael...

The fire is still buring out in Nazko but the weather has calmed down a bit. If the heat comes back things could change very quickly for everyone out there. They have more than 100 firefighters out there now and the road is open to traffic. I think we might go out next weekend if all is square - it's my mom's 47 birthday on Friday so I was thinking we could go and have some dinner and cake with them.

Well this is my only break in hours so I want to get some other stuff done. Michael is just not sleeping in - he gets up a 5am and he is just ready for the day. The advantage to this is he is sleeping right now (10am) and he will continue to sleep until lunch. So I get a decent break. I'm going to go and dry some herbs in a dehydrator so wish me luck.

The Jaded Bee said...

Good luck!

I forgot to mention last night...I'd be oblivious to a lot that I should bring with me as I have that naive faith that everything will be fine and that the people fighting the fire will keep it away. When I was in my major car accident, I could wiggle my toes, so I wasn't worried as the doctors could fix anything else, that sort of thing.