Wednesday, July 05, 2006

more photos and fire

As I'm typing my little computer (finally fixed - only took two months) is loading up my digital photos from Jon's wedding and with any luck I will post some here in the next few minutes.

So my parents were evacuated from Nazko (1 1/2 hours west of Quesnel). I'm not sure of all the details but the fire that is approaching is 80 km wide and is moving pretty fast. They've closed off the main access hwy to the valley and everyone is on a secondary crap road to get out. They are worried that the secondary road will also have flames on it so they are asking everyone to pack up.

My parents actually haven't arrived at the house yet tonight - they were packing valuables at 9:30. So this has prompted me to think about this - what do you pack? You've got one hour, or less - what do you take with you? Why are we such a possessive culture when a mere fire could cause us to lose everything and have to start over? So please share what you would grab as you left your home, maybe for the last time.

I know that I would take my computer and photo disks. I would also take my photo albums and scrapbooks. After that I think it would be hit and miss for stuff. I guess you can replace most things with insurance. As I sit here though there is rafts of stuff that I would be pretty sad to lose. So everyone tonight let's all send some good thoughts (pray if you're into that) to everyone in the province and the west that is having to run from fire tonight.

pics...

Me and Andy

Brendan trying to play with a squirrel

Veitch performing acts against physics

Jon and Sheryl getting ready to cut the cake

2 comments:

Carmen said...

Hmm... what would I take... my Trevor Linden collection of course... my photos... my special Christmas decorations... I guess it all depends on whether I have a car or a truck too! I would start running around my house taking pictures of everything so that everything that I left could be replaced... oh and what little jewellry I own (like my charm bracelet). Jason would probably save his Star Trek and Star Wars DVD's... and his RCMP stuff...

the author said...

hi sean - thanks for posting... i will draw mel in eventually :) thanks for trying with my computer - damned thing... I'm nervous about doing any work on it now - will it be there tomorrow -
Norton appears to be working - amazingly enough so I'm hoping that I don't have to loose sleep over it

My parents took what they thought were the key things - things they couldn't live without... sure enough two days in I started asking questions about some items and they were like... oh yeah... nope didn't bring that... I asked other simple things.. seeing as they had a fair bit of time to pack like clothes for work and other such items and they just gave me the blank stare... so I've decided that in addition to my photos and scrapbooks I would definitely try and pack as many of the clothes I love, and kids clothes as possible before having to leave.