Sunday, May 16, 2010

Edmonton

I'm in the city that has a rash of crime issues right where my hotel is - awesome - probably should have looked into that before booking... the hotel I'm in is right were some people were stabbed for no reason...

And tonight - well I wanted sushi - so I walked through the downtown to 'i love sushi' about eight blocks from here... and I get there.. and of course, it is closed. I make my way back a different way hoping to find something else - I don't - I find Sobey's - and get some sushi (brown rice sushi - and it is terrible) and then walk back. I'm about to cross the street - got my little walking dude single to go when this girl rushes through the intersection - cell phone in hand - gabbing away... she makes it another block - and that is where she blew a red light and t-boned a car - her car went end over end and then rolled... I stood in shock - I couldn't believe what just happened.

So friends - family - stay off your cell phones - I'm sure she thought she had it all in hand - but she nearly ran me down and then destroyed lives and vehicles... it was complete madness. Lots of people went running - so I didn't feel like I needed to run over and see her hanging out of her car... but then upon calling home and telling the story I went back to see if they needed my story... I'm walking up to the car - it is a right off - done... and there she is - sitting on the ground - pissed - she is actually looking mad... she is lucky to be alive - very very lucky. They were writing up her tickets by the look of things - she had some obvious bruises and torn pants - but after seeing it roll over in such a violent manner I wouldn't have guessed she walked away.

Anyhow... so now I'm just going to stay in my room - I have to take a train from downtown to class and tonight I grabbed the wrong train (I had a 50% chance of getting it right) - I got on and kept thinking - I don't remember it being so much above ground and then we came to the end of the station - so then I think - I better get off and as I take two steps off I realize that this train is now going in the right direction - but it is too late and so I sit at a station in the middle of nowhere... I get on the next one and what should have taken me 20 minutes, tops, takes me 90 minutes... so I've had enough today. I'm in Edmonton until Friday.

2 comments:

The Jaded Bee said...

Sheesh. Edmonton.

Be safe, April! People in BC love you and want you to return in one piece! And not a burnt one either, so quit that too!

the author said...

Thanks, Jen - I will try to stay out of the sun today... try... it sure is a nice break from that classroom (box) though - I don't know how I even managed to get through high school.... I just can't sit still - now if the topics were interesting - that would be a different story... I did start reading 'freakonomics' and love it - i'm smokin' through it, by my standards :)

I will try to be safe... hard to be prepared when there are morons on the loose randomly stabbing people... for five cents... and on that cheery not, time to head for the train...