Friday, May 28, 2010

freakin' bob flay

A few nights ago I watched Bob Flay in a "throwdown" for sloppy joes. Since then I've been craving them - they made them look soo good. Now I've been off the red meat train for a long time now but tonight I threw all caution to the wind and had a big honkin' sloppy joe! Woohoo...

I don't think Kyle has ever had one, but he took to sloppy joe like a duck to water. He asked for it for tomorrow night too! Michael even ate it - and there are red vegetables in it - so that is amazing!

Now - we'll see how I feel in a few hours... but what the heck.. only living once :)

On the mad parent front: I got a "note" home today. It was an "informal" report. In the report Kyle is asked to judge himself and then the teacher judges him on a bunch of categories like: independently finds materials and begins work (initiative), works well with all students in the class, mathematics, socials/science.... you get the picture... the judging is based on the following: nearly always, sometimes and rarely.... nice scale (insert sarcastic face) Kyle further evaluates himself and sets goals for the next few weeks - ha - the write off weeks as far as I can tell - why even have school in June if it just going to be crap (Jen - I know not all teachers are like this - I pray for one that will actually use every day for learning and not take off half of September, all of December, the last week of May and all of June - ok - I exaggerate - alright everyone subtract a few days... that is, if you were taught how to do that... )

Anyway - he notes what he wants to work on and then I get a note from the teacher. I'm critical, I know that, but shouldn't teachers be spelling wizards! I want to have faith that my guys are going to learn to spell and not rely on spell check, I want them to use the brains they were given, I want them to think freely and make good choices - when I get a note home that has spelling mistakes from the teacher I want to put a red circle around the error and send it back to school. I know this is the a-hole side of me coming out in true form, but come on... please... please spell properly - the next Australia Zoo biologist needs to know how to spell - he needs that!

And while I'm in full vent mode... stop sending me notes home on freakin' bake sales - just ask me for an extra $100 a year and I'll give - that is a good cause - me buying crap that we don't eat, don't use, don't like - is a waste - you lose by making us buy crap. If I give you $100 you get $100, when I buy crap like chocolates I give $100 and you get $25 because the chocolate making people are screwing you and everyone else. Seriously a $3.00 box of chocolate almonds, seriously!

2 comments:

The Jaded Bee said...

Really, if she has bad spelling...

This is not write-off time in my classes. I give some times of the semester as less homework time, mostly because it gives the lazy people time to make up the work they didn't realize they should actually be doing. I usually give a bigger item at this time so that those who know they need to boost their marks can. But then again, I am the meanest teacher in the world!

I hope that your sloppy joes don't harm you and that you just get to have enjoyed them!

Jen.

the author said...

Sloppy joes were a complete success! Kyle had them for lunch and dinner the following day... and even squeaked out a little bit for lunch today. He asked again for it for dinner... crazy.. I guess when you find something you like...

I even survived my first attempt back at red meat... so that is good... hooray :)