Tuesday, April 07, 2009

honey ginger salmon

Well I gotta say that tonight's recipe wasn't exactly fabulous. I mean it was ok... but...

So basically you stir together 1/4 cup of liquid honey, 2 tbsp of rice vinegar and 1 tsp (ish) of grated ginger- stir, stir, stir
Then brush or spoon onto some thawed or fresh salmon. Then the salmon goes in the oven - broiler on - (that's 500) and cook for 8-10 minutes. So it is a quick process... now here's what should have been in the book...




really - the salmon isn't going to pick up much flavor by just sticking on the sauce and chucking it in the oven - it really needs some time to marinate... so I think you should marinate the salmon in the sauce for at least 30 minutes to really capture all the yummy flavors...

note#2 - if you don't have liquid honey, cause you're like me and you use honey sometimes, but not all the time and so the honey goes hard you can warm it up in the microwave... this should be closely monitored... honey explodes - as I found out tonight and when it explodes it also burns... so tonight I was lucky that it missed my face, but got my toe and stomach - yeehaw - so don't microwave honey unless you are going to pay attention to it and then when you do remove it put on a coat of armor :)

So this recipe also called for a salsa - so you cut up some yellow pepper (1/4 cup), 1 cup of cucumber, 1 tbsp of that fun liquid honey, 1 tbsp of rice vinegar, little salt, little pepper, 1 green onion chopped - then you just mix them together and serve with the salmon. Now I served all that with a salad and used the salsa as the dressing for the salad... light - no carb dinner...



Would I make it again? Well if the salmon had been marinated it would have been way better - the salsa was nice, but I don't really think it is a salsa... no heat - which this recipe could have gotten away with because the salmon is so sweet.

No comments: