Saturday, April 04, 2009

more cooking

So I mentioned the cashew tofu stirfry and I bet to most - that was like - har har Ape's that can't be something you really cooked - so I took photographic proof. It was good - good spice, good flavours, colorful... good with rice or noodles...



Update
So here is the great recipe.... it is from Company's Coming - Healthy in a Hurry recipe book - it is awesome - we've cooked six recipes now and we've got another 4 planned to try...

Combine 3/4 cup cool water, 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce, 1 tbsp cornstarch, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp sesame oil (optional) I didn't add the sesame oil... Set this aside once mixed and re-mix before you are asked to use it...

Heat large frying pan or wok on medium-high until very hot. Add 1 tbsp of corn oil (recipe says canola but I say NO to canola - it is terrible for you). Add 4 cups of chopped suey choy (also called chinese or california cabbage), 2 cups of sugar snap peas, trimmed, 1 1/2 cups of sliced onion (I just cut up one small/med onion), 1 cup sliced red pepper (if you like red pepper use this amount - if you don't... well might want to use less - we did this amount but then the pepper didn't really get eaten), 1 tbsp of grated ginger (I've bought a small container of ginger that is grated that I keep in the fridge). Stir fry for 2-3 minutes until vegetables start to soften.

Add tofu (1 package of extra-firm tofu, cut into 2cm pieces) and a 1/2 cup of salted cashews. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes until vegetables are tender-crisp. Stir cornstarch mixture (early made sauce). Add to vegetables mixtures. Stir-fry for about 1 minute until boiling and thickening. Awesome with some rice and if you are really anti-tofu - replace the tofu with chicken...


I'm coming down with some kind of cold - my sinus and throat just don't feel right.

Despite that we did manage to take in some lead up to the games stuff today...



The mascots were on hand but Kyle decided he would rather hide than see them and Michael cried when we met Quatchi... so that part wasn't great - but trying out some of the winter olympic sports was good fun.

3 comments:

M said...

I hope your not getting what I have and seems like everyone and there dog is getting it sucks ass! But the good news is today was my first violent head hurting day in the past 5! Woop there it is!

Hope you feel great soon :)

Love you

the author said...

I hope you meant that today was the first day without a headache... and not that it made a come back...

Sadly, I'm not better - some ear pain, sore throat, decreased appetite (but that isn't such a bad thing...), sneezing, runny nose, gross.. but it's only a cold.

Anonymous said...

hey - any chance you would post that recipe for me? I love tofu, so it wouldn't be a stretch for to make as it sounds great.

hope you are feeling better soon!