Monday, October 23, 2006

how many times can you go to the hospital...

I will start by saying this has been the worst week of my life. The last seven days have been a nightmare.

As noted previously, I had trigger finger surgery last Tuesday. By Friday I couldn't open my finger. I could get it to a point but nothing further. It was terrible. I was fearing the worst. Friday afternoon Michael had his 9 month check up. We got there 10 minutes early and waited another 40 minutes before we saw the doctor. Then he just went through a stupid list and then weighed Michael... he hasn't gained any weight, he is now just under 22 lbs. He didn't check his height - it was a waste of my time... of course I had to ask about my hand. I asked if it should be open by now, should I be able to straigten it.. 'I don't really know' 'you should go back to your surgeon' - I tell him that I called on Wednesday because I knew it was going well and they didn't call me back. I called on Thursday and was told that there office was closed until Monday. FABULOUS! My brilliant doctor says 'you should go back to PG, go to emergency - they'll be forced to call your surgeon in' - I have to drive back to PG with two kids and a terrible hand. So I call the PG hospital... why drive up there if they can make a phone call to him and ask. I get a bitch on the other end who won't help me. I explain that I'm trying to lessen their work load by calling, rather than just showing up... nothing... she continues to be a complete bitch. I hang up on her. I call the Quesnel hospital and call the health hotline. After going through the survey questions with the RN she says I should go back to PG. So I call the Quesnel hospital again and ask for th PG ER number - direct line - allowing me to skip the bitch. I accomplish this and they tell me - you should just come up if you are worried about it.

So at 3 in the afternoon I pack up Michael and Kyle and go to PG. We arrive at 5pm. We then sit in emergency until 6pm. ER doc says I need to wait for the oncall surgeon. At 6:50 the surgeon comes in and says 'the other surgeon should have told you to be stretching your finger' he pulls my finger as far as it would go on a good day. I want to cry, but I'm being strong. He says you have to do this. It feels like something kind of pops in my hand. I keep moving my fingers back and forth. It was painful... not childbirth painful... but it was enough.

After all this I decide I should go visit my grandma (backtrack - for whatever reason the decision was made to move my grandma to PG and get her arm rebroken and reset) She is upstairs and so after 20 minutes of hunting we find her. This was probably the worst part of the last few days... and it has been bad... she was lying in her bed with IV's and a white cloth with IV's on her head. She looked terrible. She didn't look alive. I asked how the surgery went. 'It didn't happen, she was bumped. She'll be staying with us until she is placed in the schedule.' She hasn't woken up since she arrived. I didn't try to wake her. After I left I wished I had. I wished that I had just gone up to her bed and told her I loved her. Seeing her like that broke my heart. I'm still choked up about it.

I took the kids back to the car. We had a pathetic dinner at Wendy's. I grabbed a crappy drink from starbucks and we drove home. We got home at about 9:30. Saturday was the beginning of Michael getting sick. His temperature started to go in the afternoon. It kept going. Sunday he was completely out of sorts. He didn't want to do anything. I took him to the walk in clinic, where the doctor didn't bother taking his temp. just decided that I was doing the right things and to keep doing that.... great... except that it wasn't helping Michael. At 5pm I gave him Tylenol and by 5:30 I didn't want to touch his skin it was sooo hot. He was 40.1. I took him to the ER and then he had a blood test and urine test. Everything came back fine. So there has been no resolution on whatever he has. I'm just hoping he cracks through it soon. Tonight he cried for more than an hour. His temps are still high but not into the 40's - thankfully.

Aunti Jenni that was why had to go so quick last night - I'm sorry we didn't get to chat. I will try and catch up with you again sometime this week.

I'm grumpy and tired so I should just go to bed. What is the upside? Well my finger is straight. Well mostly... my stitches make it pretty hard to straighten the right out, but it feels and looks better. My stitches are itchy, but that is very minor compared to everything else. I hope this week is better but I'm not holding out much hope on that with Michael being the way he is. I just hope Kyle doesn't catch whatever Michael has... I think this just might be him teething - both his top teeth are just poking through - seems a little much for teething though.

Good night lovies...

3 comments:

The Jaded Bee said...

Hugs and virtual cookies, to you and Michael.

Carmen said...

April - next time you have to come to PG like that give me a call - worst case I can at lease take Kyle off your hands for awhile so you only have to deal with one kiddie - I make a great auntie - toys, sugar - we would have a great time. I am glad your finger is better, and I hope Michael cracks the temperature soon!

the author said...

thanks Carmen - I was going to call but I thought it wouldn't take too long to tell me what was wrong with me hand... I will call next time we are in PG... hopefully it won't be for an emergency - but you never can tell... :)