Saturday, October 14, 2006

oh what a couple of days

Kyle's 4th birthday started out nicely. I had to take Michael to a 9am check up and was just walking out the door when the phone rang. It was my grandpa. He was crying and struggling to get out that grandma had fallen out of bed and she was hurt. Andy took the kids and I ran out the door. I live about a kilometre from them so I drove over and called 911 on the way. When I got there I saw a car in the driveway and felt better because the health worker was onsite and must have arrived between the call and my arrival... right.

So I walk in the house and I start to think that maybe I didn't get a phone call, maybe I made it up, because they were sitting having coffee, looking normal. So I ask, is everything ok? The health worker says she fell out of bed and I think she hurt her arm. So I go to grandma and ask, but I can already see. Her arm is twice as big as it should be and the cress where your hand mets your arm is black. I ask her if she is in pain, 'no'. Then I see she had also hit her head, the skin is scrapped and bruised but not broken.

I tell them that the ambulance should be here shortly and we wait. She is in no pain but should be. I would be cryin' my eyes out if my arm looked like that. The ambulance comes and I tell them about her alzheimers. They do the history and then ask when did this happen. I pipe up with, well I was called 20 minutes ago so within the last 25. The health worker then says, well it happened before I got her at 7:45... (WHAT!???) and then my grandpa says it happened at 12:30... I ask again because I figure I've heard wrong, nope - 12:30. He says he was in the chair and heard her roll out of bed. She didn't really complain so he picked her up (he's 82) and put her back to bed. I can't believe what I've heard. I can see my grandpa going, oh she is ok - maybe it's even happened before, and putting her back to bed. I don't understand why the health worker - who dressed my grandma - didn't think - gees that looks really bad and her head looks pretty bad - maybe I should call 911... nope she tells my grandpa to call family. I don't know what she should have done so I'm reserving judgement until we find out.

They cart my grandma away who is now complaining of hip and back pain and I follow her to the hospital. (Grandpa didn't want to come.) Long story short they find her wrist is broken and won't be getting surgery as she is DNR, and she is probably bleeding on her brain as a result of the head injury. They won't perform a scan of any kind as it is extraordinary care.

So all that happens - I call my dad and tell him what has happened. I talk to my mom at the hospital as she is working in xray and then I go home to finish Kyle's birthday cake. Kyle had two little girlfriends over for dinner, cake and presents. It was fun. He really liked having friends over. We went to a kids concert after and then called it a night. The kids went home from the concert.

Needless to say I was beat. So then Andy left today. I was a basketcase. Between everything that has gone on in the last 48 hours and now him leaving for Vancouver I just wanted to have a permanent breakdown. It was a short meltdown. I've done well all day. I had a season ending event for Rocky Mountaineer Vacations tonight and I think it was success. Good turnout for a Saturday night. My mom told me she was going to take the kids for the night... HOORAY... of course - like the cheesecake - it did not happen. No worries - the kids aren't crazy and we just hung out. Michael, unfortunately, was sick. He threw up and was just generally cranky. They are both asleep and I can only hope that I will get six hours of sleep in a row.... oh how great that would be.

So there you go... sorry for the depressing blog entry. I'm going to go and make my bed (yes Andy I'm putting sheets on it ... mmmuh ha ha hahaha), watch whatever trash is on tv for a half hour and then go to sleep. Tomorrow is clean up day - work clean up - I have to return the gear for tonights event and write a press release.

2 comments:

The Jaded Bee said...

Hugs and prayers. I can't believe that. That health care worker definitely did not behave in the way she should have. Please put in a report with her supervisors, sometime when you have a moment. (I know, maybe in 15 years, right?)

Kyle is 4 already? How the time flies. Happy Birthday Kyle!

You really are an amazing person April, someone I greatly admire.

Take care,
Jen.

the author said...

Thank you for the nice comments - I don't know if I deserve them. I think anyone would step up for family and friends. I just hope that one day someone will look after me :)

I'm just glad that my grandma is in a safe place right now. We are hoping that she will get a more comfortable bed in a couple of days but no guarantees. The hospital has been in a bit of disarray for the past few weeks as the main elevators died and the work on the 3rd floor stopped, which meant all other moving was halted.