Thursday, May 17, 2007

gyro park

I decided to take the kids to the beach for lunch today. A nice outing, more time to unwind and the weather - while not as fabulous as yesterday, works for me because I'm not into the weather once it passes 30 degrees.

We enter the park (same place we went last night) and found people hot boxing their van in the parking lot. No big deal right - just lock up your car... sure, so I do that and make our way to a picnic table. First table we find has a crack addict sitting at the table - I try to avoid eye contact so she doesn't feel the need to follow us. We make our way to another table and find a couple eating lunch - ok - better... I unload and no sooner have we started eating that a cyclist comes through the park (kyle - mom he's riding on the grass...) the table once filled with a couple is now empty and he takes up residence. I make no judgement. He appears to just be a cyclist - no worries. We eat lunch and enjoy the breeze coming off the lake. And the first beer is opened across from us along with a cigarette. Great. So we start packing up and make our way down to the beach. Now I'm biased and watch him more carefully just in case he decides to cross my path. He is eyeing up everyone that passes by. ARG - crappy beach... so we go down to the water but now I'm nervous - I know he is watching and there are few people on the beach. I managed to control my urge to flee and we stayed for 30 minutes. Michael was starting to get ready for a nap and I decided we should get going. Of course, we walked back from the beach without shoes and we get within about 50 feet of the car and find some tard has disposed of his beer bottle on the sidewalk. ARG again!

So nothing great to report from the land of Kelowna. I guess the reason Quesnel has one of the highest crime rates is because our citizens report disturbances and don't want to tolerate the types of things I crossed path with today.

What else? Well since I'm complaining about Kelowna - does the sky ever clear here? It has been socked in with smog since we arrived - there have been clear points up here but nothing in the valley. Alright enough whining... off to spend time with Kyle while Michael is enjoying his siesta.

1 comment:

The Jaded Bee said...

Yuck and ack!

We're still planning on going camping around the province in August, so expecting to find you. We're going to check out Barkerville, I think. I told Quentin we might pan for gold for his birthday. Do they still have creepy mannequins in some of the buildings? I cannot attend a wax museum without freaking out. Started in Barkerville as a kid. They would just be creepy. I'd refuse to look in the building if any were inside, so of course my brother said "no, there's none in here!" a few times he shouldn't have. I stopped looking.

Enough of my phobias.

We should be around here at the beginning of September, hopefully with me prepping for classes. But, we'll see.

Be well,
Jen.