Tuesday, May 22, 2007

home again home again slithery slop

After an eight hour ride home - 5 hours filled of Michael's whines and cries.. lord!

We had a fairly uneventful evening, other than Michael not wanting to sleep - ARG again! My foot was bugging me though - it had been bugging me all day. When we finally got to Quesnel it was a constant bothering - like a little mosquito buzzing around your head - bzz bzzz... I didn't pay much attention to it... then after I had a shower I noticed that I had two clear bite marks on my tattoo. I was a little (alot) surprised by the finding. It was bugging me enough this morning that I decided to take my foot to the dr... better safe than sorry - I like my feet and wouldn't want to have to replace them :) I tell my doctor I've been in Kelowna and I said I think I've been biten by something. He looks at my foot and starts talking about snakes in Africa. "I've seen lots of snake bites. Most times the effect is immediate. If it was poisonous you would be sick, or having brain problems. Looks like a snake bite... didn't you know you were...." So then I'm kind of like... um - I guess I slept on the floor for a couple of nights. You'd think I would notice getting bit by a snake though. He just kind of scratches his head and looks at me like... look lady you should know you were bit- why don't you know... almost looking at me like I'm lying - like I need to lie about getting bit by a snake... so the jury is out on this one... note to Andy - don't sleep on the floor in your place...

After that I went to Safeway and see one of my grandma's old work friends outside the building. I haven't seen her in ages and say hello. She immediately asks how Grandma is. I just about had a mental breakdown over it. It really threw a big rusty smelly wrench into my day. I apologized and told her she'd passed in November. Each word tasted bad. Each word worst than the next, curdling as I said them. I explained what happened and how things went. She told me she'd seen her at Dunrovin last year and she'd said hello and she had thought she'd recognized her. It all sounded like lies - it feels longer - enough though I know it isn't. Then she said - it must be hurting the family - my eyes filled up - like they are now writing this - (I didn't cry, but was very much on the brink) and I simply said yes. She told me she'd moved to Vernon and was just up visiting. That she was glad to have run into me and at least found out. I said goodbye and wanted to throw up, wanted to run, wanted to talk with someone about her and reminise some more. So that is my day right now - I still have some work to do - so I better get to it. I guess this is all part of grief - it sucks.

No comments: