Thursday, March 08, 2007

sick kids

Michael was sick on Sunday and then has carried whatever flu it is around all week. Kyle was fine.. was... on Wednesday morning he woke up at 5:30 and said he was hot and not feeling good. He was still feeling up to watching a cartoon though so I told him I was going to go and lay in my bed, but he could come and get me if he felt sick. Sure enough I put my head on my pillow and I heard him get up. Then I witnessed him make a run to the garbage can to throw up - I told him to come to the bathroom and there I found out I have an iron stomach as he threw up everywhere.

After he was cleaned up and sitting down I assessed the damage - now remember I just did my carpets. He started throwing up in the living room and then continued to throw up to the garbage - about 20 feet between two places - he then turned back for the bathroom and throw up all over the toilet. It was like Ruggles all over again... ok it wasn't that bad...definitely missing 1997 (ok it was far worse than ruggles - but not as bad as that night in res when carmen thought it might be time to take me to the hospital for alcohol poisoning - lord) anyhow... I did the trademark April toilet paper stuff up my nose and got cleaning. I used so much bleach on the toilet that my rag changed colors. He continued this throw up routine all day. Not all over my house - after he understood the toilet was the place to go he completely got it - this is the first time he's had the flu.. I feel terrible for him - I slept on the floor beside him last night - the stuff they don't tell you about being a mom. Of course I wouldn't have it any other way :) You know you love someone when.

Right now he has been throw up free for 14 hours... I'm hoping it lasts. He is only doing fluids at this point... and did I mention we need to drive to Kelowna today.

Oh and here is a question - why are there soo many different ways to get to Kelowna - and why does no one seem to know how long it takes - I've been told that it will take us between 5 and 8 hours.... hello - I'm thinking of going through faukland, vernon and into kelowna. I haven't been in 15 years... no.. longer - but I never drove then and probably slept some of the way. I know I've driven to Kamloops in abou 4 1/2 hours. So I think I will stop at the visitor centre there and see what they suggest for routes.

I need to finish packing - I'll let you know how the drive goes and I will hopefully have some pictures.

2 comments:

Carmen said...

It will probably take you about 6 1/2 to get to Kelowna - three and a bit to get to Cache Creek, just under an hour to Kamloops, just over an hour to Vernon through Falkland, and around an hour to then get to Kelowna... hope that helps!!

Here's hoping the kiddies are all better!!

the author said...

thanks carmen - dumb us we drove to merritt and then over the coconut highway to kelowna - there was at least 8 feet of snow or more piled on the sides of the road from clearing the summit sections - it was white out conditions just outside of merritt to about 20 minutes before you turn left for kelowna... it made for a very long day - kyle was pretty good - didn't throw up but just was down right miserable... he watched movies though and made the best of it - how did my parents ever drive us anywhere without that contraption...

We will definitely be going back through vernon - I've had enough of the freak snow storms.