Friday, October 19, 2007

brrrrrr

On Thursday morning my furnace stopped turning on - well it would turn on and then turn off and turn on and turn off over and over... I check the simple things and then, due to paranoia, I turn the thermostat off. I call a furnace place once I get to work. I explain the problem after all that she says - we actually aren't taking on any new clients. rrright... So I have meetings and this has been hell week - so I call another place at lunch - and get put on the wait list - I'm number 50. I talk to my brother last night and he suggests another place - so I call this morning and get told November 19. Thanks! So ms string puller (me) calls my chamber buddy and ask - hey - do you know what I should do? she gives me a PG number and says she will ask around... the place that listed me as #50 calls me back and says they can come on their way home - great - I'm pretty sure this is all as a result of my whining to the chamber... any way - a hundred bucks later, one new filter, some dial adjusting and testing and it flicks on... while he is packing up and taking a call it runs - I don't know when it shut off - I think it was about 20 minutes after he left... maybe less - it hasn't come back on - my thermostat is saying it should be 19 but that it is 17 - so maybe the pilot light is out - I don't even know how to start that - I feel like such a dull knife on this - so we are back in the land of cold - I'm sitting in blankets typing - my bed has extra blankets and I have our one function heater in the boys room.. BLAH! SO I guess I'll be calling back in tomorrow. He said as he was leaving that if there was anything wrong as a result of what he did he'd come back for free... hope that stands up. :) - WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS?... I know I know...

1 comment:

The Jaded Bee said...

Pilot lights are super easy to relight...and there's no way it will do any of the bad stuff that sits in your mind as you apply flame to gas. There should be a primer (button) that you push and a place where you put a flame (use a long lighter or one of those long matches.) Ours actually has instructions inside the panel. Push the button 3-5 times, then hold as you apply the flame. The flame should normally be visible under the furnace. That's where you light it.

Hope that helps.

It happened within a month of my parents leaving me in the house when they went overseas. I called an electrician friend of the family to do it for me. Next time I called my then boyfriend's dad, who dragged his son over so he could learn too, and he showed me how to do it. We've had to twice here.

Hope things get better,
Jen.