Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Another Tuesday 10 on Wednesday and the teachers...


Chores. These questions were provided by Molly at Considering Campbell!
1. What are your designated chores in your home?
I don't really have any designated chores... 
2. What is your least favorite chore to do around the house?
I don't really have a least favourite... chores are part of life.
3. What was your designated chore growing up?
Hmm... well I would get dish duty, sometimes, but we didn't really have a chore list either.  Cleaning our rooms - oh... I know - my dresser - I hated my dresser - my Grandma Martin (when she visited) would give me HUGE shit for the state of affairs in my dresser drawer, she'd pull everything out and make me re-fold it all and put it away properly...  
4. Did you get paid to do chores or was your allowance connected to you completing your chores?
No.. I did get paid to pull weeds out of the lawn though - my Grandpa Martin use to pay me to pull the prickly ones out of the yard and then we'd walk to Frank's Supermarket and get ice cream bars - hooray for ice cream bars.
5. If you had a bit of extra money, would you hire a cleaning person or would you save the money for something else?
I'm fine with cleaning - rather save the money for something else... like a good holiday :)
6. What chores will you make your kids do around the house?
Well I just ask them to help out with things that I know they can help with... no set schedule... no special requests - just hey - can you help...
7. How frequently do you do laundry? Wash your sheets? Dust?
Laundry is when it needs to be done... again - no set schedule
8. Do you have a designated “chore day” during the week?
Nope
9. What is your favorite chore–if such a thing exists?
I actually like getting wood - like going out and cutting wood and taking it to the truck and unloading it - didn't really love it as a kid but I don't mind it and it is good exercise... crazy maybe... I like chores that bring people together, but also like to power clean alone sometimes... 
10. Do you do anything to help pass the time while doing chores (music, TV, etc.)?
Music... I'm a singer - not really a good one - but a singer, nonetheless


Alright... what else... there must be more - well I've had a pretty emotional week and feel a wee-bit drained from some of it but it will be good and fine and as Dory said 'just keep swimming'.
Teacher strike - I fully support the strike and am against Bill 22.  I have spent a lot of time thinking about it and have read and re-read the Bill and am disappointed that our Province is acting in the manner that it is acting in.  What to do?  Well I think Bill 22 will happen, unless parents rally - the teachers are few when you looking at who gets to vote and you can be darn sure that all political parties take that into account when they are dealing with anything.  There are hundreds of thousands of students and if all their parents and grandparents said - hey wait - province you can't ram a Bill in place and say that is making education better - you can't do that to people - to the human beings that teach our next generation - that is wrong - you can't bully people.  I was thinking that the parents should call a day of strike - that that might have a larger impact on the province - what if the public said no to this Bill - said that we need to negotiate in good faith and not 'mediate' with a Bill that actually sets out the terms of mediation and doesn't really mediate anything.  
A day of strike for education - a day of strike for our kids - a day of strike for our future - this Bill sets another precedent for how our province thinks it can manage large employee groups.  I'm not a unionist - I'm not a lover of any union but you can't do this to people - to our most important people - teachers, nurses, paramedics - I was just as pissed about the paramedic situation and continue to think that all of our uber valuable people get little compared to what they have to put up with - stuff that many of us as parents, as the general public, would never ever want to do - ever... 
Footnote - I really think that the teaching situation in our province needs some work - but this Bill doesn't do that.  You see I don't like that there are teachers who don't teach, teachers who do not upgrade their skills and then still teach our students, I don't like teachers who don't care about their students and while I know there are many teachers who are fantastic and great - there are some that plain suck and I think that there should be a way to pluck those ones out... and then pay and thank the people doing the work - the hard work of raising our children, helping us when we are down, helping us when we are hurt and injured.
xo

1 comment:

The Jaded Bee said...

Support from parents is definitely appreciated! :)

Rumour is a general strike is on the horizon for the end of the month. Parents would be quite welcome to join us! And the other union members in the province. Unless they all get cowed into place before that happens, and it is what happened last time a general strike was going to happen, and they're trying to get it to happen this time. "Me Too" clauses help, although they can all get overtime, while we cannot.