Wednesday, November 14, 2007

the book

Last night I went for a walk with my book on the treadmill - made it through 80 pages in an hour - I know - that is a terrible average - it's no wonder that I could hardly get through my university classes... my biggest problem with reading is that I like to take in every word and understand it thoroughly - I also like to pronouce things as I'm reading... I'm retarded - I know.

With 80 pages gone I decided to finish the rest before I went to bed. I ended up reading until 1:20am. It's done. It had 658 pages and now I'm on to Potter - not sure if I will crack it tonight or not... don't want to get too into it. I do want to know what happens though. That doesn't mean anyone needs to spoil it for me... thank you :)

So what of the book? Well as a long time King reader I would say it is better than a bunch, but not as complex as some. I loved the Stand - definitely in my top ten for favorite books. I wouldn't place this in the top ten - Lisey's Story - but it was a good read. The relationship between a husband and wife written in a different style - one that I enjoyed because I write like that - or have thought about writing the way he wrote this book - he will be writing about a past event and then it flips to the next chapter in present tense following off from where he started to explain the past event. There is gore, but not nearly as bad as his other books. There is one scene in it that nearly made me quite reading because it was so vivid and just made me feel like I didn't (shouldn't) want to read anymore if that was going to be the rest of the book - not as bad as the unicorn section of "Not wanted on the voyage" by Findley (another fav author - Canadian) but it ranks up there.

The other book I'm reading tonight is "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld (yes, Jerry's wife) about cooking for kids. Oprah profiled it a couple of weeks ago. My super wonderful Aunti Jenni ordered me the book (early b-day present - THANK YOU!) and after a few weeks of back order it arrived today. I'm going to read through some of it tonight - but I will likely start Potter.

And speaking of not doing anything any more - I think I might be done with ER. What the hell happened in the last episode? What is wrong with those writers? I found that scene at the end uncomfortable to watch- why, why, why would they do that? That can't be getting the ratings up. It might as well been a rape and I just thought it was in bad taste and poor judgement - me a faithful (ok except for about a year) viewer of ER. Not to mention - eeewwwwwww - come on she's got the hottest man on the show in the sack and she goes after that... WHAT? WHAT..... WHAT?? I don't care if she was lonely, and drunk... did anyone feel like she was drugged... is that where this is going? Ok - good night... tomorrow night I'm decorating a tree in the local festival of trees competition - I'll have photos to share late tomorrow night.

No comments: