Monday, January 08, 2007

christmas project

So I never said what I had been working on as a craft at Christmas and since it has come and gone now I thought I would share... (Mel - you would have gotten one and if the package never arrives I will make another... DAMNED GREYHOUND)

I went to a PG craft fair and bought a starry night charm from a vendor for $2 - and I thought if she is selling them for that cheap this must be something easy to do - so I started trying to figure out how to do it. I'm still working on the best backing and I will likely buy the kit I saw on ebay and I think it is fun and makes a great gift.

What I did was find photos of things I knew a couple of family and friends would like - 17-19 pictures and then I shrunk them down in word (office suite) - I then printed them on glossy photo paper and used double sided tape to adhere them to charm bracelets. I bought blank bracelets for about $4 each. Then I did 3-5 coats of clear nail polish. I made a few for my bracelet and haven't had any problems with them - the one I did for my mother in law had two fall off right away - so I know I need a better adhesive but glue just doesn't seem like an option since it will likely warp the picture.

I was just about to post a picture of some that I did and realized that it was copyright infringement... I will take a picture of one of the ones I did that was a personal photo and share it tomorrow. If anyone else has any cool crafts to try for next christmas gifts I would love to hear about it. I don't want to wait until December to try and get them done this year.

1 comment:

the author said...

Andy is going to the Justice Institute, which is on Government street. We've seen some rentals in the Beacon Hill area, but I keep thinking that I've heard bad things about that area.

I'm actually hoping he checks out Victoria and the island for relocation. I would love to live on the island. I have a terrible fear of the island sinking - I've had it my whole life - but my love of the ocean outways my retardness.. thankfully :)

We look forward to any tips. He is hoping for something furnished or semi furnished so he doesn't have to move too much stuff - but I guess we are willing to be flexible on that - price... well I would love it to be under $600 a month, but I guess we will take what we can get. Thanks :)