Monday, December 15, 2008

the ear

"Hello, (pause) April."

"Yes"

"April, this is Mrs.Teachers name, Kyle is at school. He said he didn't want to get on the bus today and that he needs to go to emergency. He says that he has a rock in his ear."

*gulp, followed by silence

"I'll come and pick him up, I'll be there shortly."

Fast forward to tonight....

As some will recall our curious five year old (now six) put a rock in his ear earlier this year and we had a highly traumatic visit to emergency. We've dealt with that trauma nearly every day since. Kyle is still sensitive to what happened and is very sensitive about his ears. So when I got this call I wanted to cry. When I put the phone down I'd already decided that I'd ask for sedation for Kyle and some for me... if they could share.

Kyle describes the scene and the more he talks about it, the more I think there isn't really anything there... but he insists that he feels something rolling around. So I make an appointment with our great doctor and we get in about 30 minutes after I call. This also gave me the opportunity to discuss Kyle's ongoing cough - more than three weeks old now...

So hooray there was nothing in his ear and his cough is just a cough and he didn't have any suggestions other than to wait and see if it goes away on its own eventually. So after our little adventure I said I needed to do some work and I took him up to the Mayor's office to drop off some stuff... the Mayor gave Kyle a special chocolate and one for Michael and then we got a tour of City Hall - it was great! Kyle had to hang out for a couple of conversations, but nothing too boring - and he didn't seem to mind... I think he was still getting over the fact that there wasn't anything in his ear... he was actually telling himself to calm down on our way to the clinic...

There you go - another adventure in our lives :) Fun never stops.

No comments: