Wednesday, December 24, 2008

eve

Well this is the first time I've had a few minutes to write anything - today was not a very good day - but it ended well so I can't complain - oh wait, yes I can...

We started the morning with a "plumber" how yanked on my plumbing snake so hard that he broke it - and then left because "he wasn't dealing with that"... my brother came over and he and Andy spent the day working on the problem... the snake was stuck in ice in the drain - and the drain was so full of ice - well it was about 10 ft or more full - so there wasn't much we could do with it... needless to say it was a long day - it ended with a new water pipe being installed and the washer working again...

Some of the day was insane though and part of the reason I'm still awake. I went out to get some work done this afternoon - when I returned to the house are CO2 alarm was beaking off - I go and see it and it has a reading on it - I go into safety mode and evacuate the house... the guys think I'm nuts but I wasn't dying from that shit - that is why I bought the alarm... ok - so we evacuate and I call someone I know on a volunteer fire department - he says call Terasen - gas company - I call Terasen (this is the short version because the long version - well I'll save that for my journal...) Terasen says get out of the house - open windows and doors - and leave - emergency guy will be there soon - ok... I leave again - kids never came back in the house - just me and Andy and my brother (who stayed the whole time...) Terasen arrives and whatever was here has gone with the open windows... from a reading up over 124 down to nothing... but... this very nice Terasen emergency person says he will look around anyway... and what does he find... well no CO2 problem... but he finds that our BRAND new pipes in my BRAND new furnace wasn't tightened enough and was leaking natural gas - which I complained about but was told - "I've got a nose for natural gas and I don't smell it..." I guess he's been smelling too much horse shit lately... cause he was WRONG! Anyway - great Terasen guy tightens the pipe and we seem to back up and running.

I spent the last 2 hours (ish) wrapping gifts and now I can't sleep - the CO2 thing scares the shit out of me. It is dangerous to be around a reading of more than 50 and when I came home from work my whole family was sitting in the house - I think you could have lit me on fire this afternoon and I wouldn't have noticed - I packed Michael - who was asleep - and basically had a fit and now I keep thinking I'm going to hear the alarm go off again - or maybe it won't go off - I know I will sleep tonight but I'm just a little bit ( a lot) out of my gourd...

I'm pretty sure whatever the alarm read this afternoon and beaked off about was something my brother did as he used a chemical ice melter and it stank the house up - it was hard to breath and it gave me a pounding headache - but I never would have thought it would set off our CO2 alarm... I think it was a fluke that Terasen ended up detecting the natural gas leak - I guess the stars aligned on the whole thing - the alarm is clear - the house smells fine now - the pipe is fixed - and everyone is sleeping... except you know who... oh well - so there you go - great holidays... great - flamin' great - it doesn't help that I'm queen of worry-wort village and this just stacks on top of all the shit that runs through my head every day...

Ok - I'm going to watch some tv and unwind... tell me I'm not insane - I'm feeling insane...

1 comment:

Jen said...

You're not insane. In fact, it makes me want to go out and get a CO2 alarm for us. Scary.