Thursday, December 17, 2009

tonight

Need something to do?
Visit Starbucks
http://starbucksloveproject.com/#/main/ - they did this great "All you need is love" video thing - with people singing from all over the world - it is great!

Need something else to do?
Well I made butter tarts tonight - now I kind of made too much filler - just didn't have enough shells... but that's ok
Usually I follow my mom's recipe - every year - every year... and for some reason (and after a glass of wine) I decided it was time to look at another recipe....

So here is the recipe I followed tonight... just in case you have a glass of wine and nothing to do....
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, lightly beaten
18 unbaked tart shells

Preheat oven to 450ºF. (that's right friends... 450 degrees - freakin' hot and yes I totally thought I was going to burn the damn lot of them... and because I totally overfilled them it smelt burned-esk....)

In heavy saucepan, combine the raisins, butter, sugar, syrup and salt. Heat on a warm stove at low heat until butter is melted and the mixture is warm. Remove from heat and add vanilla and eggs. Spoon fill tart tins 2/3 full. (First note the whole blending the eggs into the warm mixture - that means you actually have to do it properly and not like me - kind of rushing and not realizing the mixture had overheated a bit... darn it... and it also says - fill 2/3 - which I also didn't listen to - I filled them right up and I actually think that wasn't such a bad idea cause then the tarts are full of raisin-y goodness...)

Do not fill the tart shells to the top with the filling or they will spill over while baking. 2/3 full should be fine. (Yes, yes - see the recipe even reminded me to take it easy and did I listen - NO - because I'm a nut... and while I'm noting nuts - I would have totally put nuts into this recipe - more filler and maybe even currants - cause I like them too...)

Bake for 10 minutes (that's right - back for 10 minutes at 450). Reduce heat to 350ºF and bake for 5 minutes or longer until pastry is golden. Do not let the pastry filling bubble. (I'd love to know how you are supposed to stop this from happening - mine bubbled they still tasted yummy... cause I totally tried one) Let butter tarts cool completely before removing from the tart tin. (This is an important note too....)

What next... well I'm finishing a glass and watching Braveheart - because I was in the mood for some scottish-ness...

No comments: