Sunday, December 27, 2009

what will help a cold...

That's right - it is time for cooking with ape...


Here is your fearless (ha) cook. This is a moment after me testing the soup and realizing that I'd actually done an okay job.. hooray!

So what did I do tonight... well this came about as a result of a heap of turkey being left over from dinner.

First warmed olive oil in big pot. Then added chopped up onion (1), celery (4 stalks chopped up - not minced - bigger pieces), a cup of mini carrots chopped up (bite size pieces or a bit smaller), a heaping table spoon of garlic (minced) and then all that went into the olive oil on low/med heat.

Then after the onions went transparent I added about 2 cups of chopped up cabbage. I didn't mix the cabbage in - I just let it sit on top. After about 5 minutes I stirred it together. I also added two packages of chicken bouillon (those pouches in the yellow box). Then I chopped up the left over turkey (2 cups-ish). Then I started adding boiled water (I had my little tea kettle going on the side for this). Over the next 10 minutes I added 18 cups of water that was pre-boiled. I also added another four pouches of the chicken bouillon. Once this was all together and I added two potatoes (cut into bite size pieces). Once the potatoes were in I've let it sit to get all flavourful - letting all the yummy flavours dance together. I'm letting them dance for about 45 minutes before I serve it. The potato will be cooked and everything will be yummy.

And here is something you shouldn't do...

The wooden spoon does not add any flavour to the soup... so it should be removed promptly.. :)

So that soup totally tastes better after it has sat for a while - here I am hours later and it is WAY better... so the tip here is patience. Patience in life, patience in soup making

No comments: