Saturday, August 08, 2009

a brief update

K - so we left the house at 6am ish - stopped for some timmies... then made our way to Tumbler Ridge... 90 minutes later we were at the start of the race... at 9am we started the half marathon and it was freakin' awesome! I mean there were terrible parts where I just wanted to throw up or crawl back down the mountain in defeat, but I knew it wasn't in me to fail today... we made it to the 13 km summit (2000 ft elevation gain) to some beautiful scenery and then started the trek down. BEAUTIFUL!


(Kicking ass and taking names... not only did I complete a half marathon - the scenery was amazing) This is about 800 ft up... maybe a bit more...

I jogged for about 5km of the race and we made up for time I'd used at the start dragging myself up the mountain... we ran through the finish at 3 hours 38 minutes and I couldn't be happier about it... it was the best experience! We got bronze medals for completing in under 5 hours and then because we just couldn't get enough we did an additional 3km hike to some waterfalls... more beauty - more wonder- more nature... FANTASTIC (said like the princess in the paper bag princess)


Here is the steepest incline on the entire race... I actually didn't mind this that much.. there was a full kilometre that was all up hill and not a little uphill like heart thumpin' uphill... that was the worst section for me... the incline in the photo was steep enough to require a little bit of hands on to get up to the top... over the last few steps.

I got a bit too much sun for me... but I'm managing... I have a extra nasty blister that exploded at about 13 km and then got worse on our last 3 km hike to waterfalls... and then, upon further inspection, I found another five or six little ones... but other than that I don't really have much to complain about... the weather was good (super windy at the top), the company was great and the scenery was... say it with me... FANTASTIC!

We saw three moose on the way out in the morning, and a bunch of deer - two mom's with twins.. amazing!

Now I've had a healthy dose of red neck margarita and I'm ready to sleep... long day! Long day ahead as I'll be driving back to Quesnel early...

No comments: