Sunday, August 23, 2009

wish me luck

Alright friends... so I'm canning for the first time... hot water variety... it is wear you (in basic terms) cut up all the stuff you want to keep for later (after first cooking it) putting it in a jar, putting a lid on the jar and then you place the jar in water - then you have to get all that boiling - so glass jars boiling along inside a big pot - and then after a set amount of time - you take them out of the water and hope it all went well and that you didn't just waste a lot of time... ok - that was the pessimist - hard to keep them away...

I'm canning beets because I love them and then I want to try antipasto... because I love that too! And hello - it is way cheaper to make it yourself then buy it in the store. Alright - so I'm going to go back and see if we are boiling and then I can start timing - photos later :)

Note to self - in the event that you try to can again - remember to have canning vice to get jars out.. using tongs and a cloth SUCKS! And now you have a nice burn on the thumb from your stupidness.... Now off to buy a couple of things for dinner and think about whether or not I really want to proceed with the antipasto...

No comments: